Thursday, August 5, 2010

Famous Cat : Cheshire Cat


"The order of the world is always right -- such is the judgment of God. For God has departed, but he has left his judgment behind, the way the Cheshire Cat left his grin." ~ Jean Baudrillard

Cheshire Cat


This famous grinning cat is one of the best-known characters of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, authored by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (best-known by his pseudonym Lewis Carroll).

The Cat plays an important role in Alice’s adventures as he instructs her in the protocols and rules that govern that strange and colorful place.

Alice learns that the Cat has the ability to materialize and dematerialize at will. He can also talk like a human. In fact, he carries very engaging – though thoroughly annoying – conversations with Alice.

On most occasions, the Cat’s arguments appear to make no sense and that proves to be very aggravating to Alice. One of my most favorite conversation that showed the grinning cat wisdom;


"Alice talking to cheshire cat"

"Cheshire-Puss," she began, rather timidly, as she did not at all know whether it would like the name: however, it only grinned a little wider.


"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"

"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don't much care where---" said Alice.

"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.

"---So long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.

"Oh you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."


This conversation tell us that in life we must have our own personal aim so that we know which path we must take and not wandered endless in no direction. 

The conversation than continue about everyone is mad which is quite funny if you ask me.

But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
"And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," Alice said.
"Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growl when it's angry, and wag its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I’m pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I’m mad."
"I call it purring, not growling," said Alice. 




More Cheshire Cat Quotes


From Disney’s Alice in Wonderland (1951).

Cheshire Cat: Oh, by the way, if you'd really like to know, he went that way.
Alice: Who did?
Cheshire Cat: The White Rabbit.
Alice: He did?
Cheshire Cat: He did what?
Alice: Went that way.
Cheshire Cat: Who did?
Alice: The White Rabbit.
Cheshire Cat: What rabbit?
Alice: But didn't you just say - I mean - Oh, dear.
Cheshire Cat: Can you stand on your head?
Alice: Oh!



Click Here!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails